TimeTeam film crew are here at Gorey castle

View previous topic View next topic Go down

TimeTeam film crew are here at Gorey castle

Post  JDSS-SiteAdmin-1 on Mon May 17, 2010 4:29 pm

Heard on the grapevine that the Time Team film crew are setting up their gear at Gory Castle today not sure if the rest of the team will make it here with the volcanic ash stuff is in the air stopping flying

also a rumour about them wanting to shield the dig with 8foot high wood panels so the public dont get to gawk at it and to keep nighthawks out? if there are any in the island scratch

after this dig they will be at Jersey war tunnels (underground Hospital to us locals) so if you hear a big bang they may have found some unxploded bomb thingys lol!

if anyone still has a radio scanner then you may be able to hear the crew prob around 165Mhz or 460Mhz to learn about whats being found

we only know of one detectorist being allowed on site and had to sign a 50 page disclaimer document apparantley, still uncertain as to who owns any items that are discovered as our laws are different to the UK ones

will be back if I find out any more info.....

Back to top Go down

Re: TimeTeam film crew are here at Gorey castle

Post  Jonathan on Tue May 18, 2010 3:57 pm

Thats abit harsh .. they shouldnt put panels around it ! Cause in all the other episodes they've let the locals have a look and help !

Back to top Go down

Post  ken on Tue May 18, 2010 8:23 pm

Not quite that bad Rob, Cool only signed about 4 times mainly health and safety stuff, but also a treasure act which I have got a copy of for our future interest. Surprised
A very nice bunch, not stuffy or stuck up, ready to talk and answer questions from anyone.
A hell of a lot of behind the scenes organisation goes on, that you never see on the tv.
Nothing much to detect , no treasure so far, just the normal ring pulls, musket balls etc, but all very enlightening and interesting and a privilage to be asked. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  JDSS-SiteAdmin-1 on Wed May 19, 2010 8:48 am

Thanks for the info Ken,
hope you find important stuff they missed in the heaps and you get to be famous on film cheers
it was another club member who had the 50page paperwork to sign up but hes says there is more important things on the day of the digs something about the launch of a numanistics book coming out from S.J.

We do have a disgrunteled member who lives close but isn't allowed help with TT
they told him only three detectorists have the privilage! and the parish has stopped parking nearby that has also peed him off?

was wondering if they had a helicopter here but only seen a chinook wizz past the other day
as we can pick up the radio comms to learn more
Regards Rob.

Back to top Go down

Post  ken on Wed May 19, 2010 9:46 pm

The helo was up today, just for 15 minutes or so .
Dereck had a couple of nice finds today, a regimental cap badge and a chape, myself I'm busy finding ring pulls and rusty nails, but that golden Noble awaits.
Yes our coin book launch is tomorrow at the societe' members rooms, and hope it goes well, we are a little short of numismatics members as four are in hospital affraid , and I am otherwise engaged(hunting for that gold Noble) Laughing Garrick has kindly lent me his small coil for the explorer, so i'll give it a test out tomorrow, if I get a chance.
We had a bit of fun today when the archi thought she had exposed a bomb, turned out to be a piece rusty granite, the Ordnance/bomb disposel guys had got them all worried after their talk on jumping mines and roll bombs Cool
Anyone can watch the filming and digs, its open viewing from behind the rope barriers, last day tomorrow at Mont Orgueil Sad

Back to top Go down

Post  JDSS-SiteAdmin-1 on Thu May 20, 2010 8:51 am

ah! thought they usually film from above Very Happy
here are some Outside Broadcast frequencies for scanner enthusiasts to try
they were in use last year by TT in uk
the castle has sprouted two new antennas and a repeater station for the comms
455.03125 / 468.05625 Ch1
455.23125 / 468.50625 Ch2
455.39375 / 468.33125 Ch3
all were FM modulation.

Ken, hope you get the gold louis d'or b4 they do Smile

Rob

Back to top Go down

Post  ken on Thu May 20, 2010 8:00 pm

No Gold Louis d'Or, Just a little silver clasp but eyes only I found a lovely piece of statue a arm or leg piece, in caen stone carved with fish scale armour, very interesting and 14th century or earlier bounce bounce , also had a few double tournois and victorian pennies etc, but Garrick had a small gold piece Like a Star @ heaven , what it is unknown as yet, but it could turn out to be something real special, he got called in just before 10 as there was so much to be looked over, and so little time for one detectorist to do it, I think he enjoyed himself as much as I did! so he is def not disgruntled any more Very Happy .
So thats Gorey over, next the war tunnels and UXB's, bom bom bom

lol! Quiet please ,and move that bloody detectorist out of the shot, 3- 2 -1 Roll cameras! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  JDSS-SiteAdmin-1 on Fri May 21, 2010 8:40 am

Really glad Garrick got a go, as he was so miffed about it all Surprised
you did well to find stone eyes only, hope someone took a piccy of it in your hand,
Dereyk mentioned he was knackered and had been on site for 9 Hours and found a sword chape, he did the numanistics new book opening yesterday and was pleased to see the media there so we may see him in JEP Question a friend of mine was taking piccys in the evening so if they appear online i will post the link Arrow here,
keep up the gud work
Regards Rob.....

Back to top Go down

Todays JEP

Post  JDSS-SiteAdmin-1 on Fri May 21, 2010 3:36 pm

Just got a copy of the local rag page 3
Looks like a good photo you
Ken, in the Red site Hat!
looks like your headphones wont fit, so prob why your not getting the faint sigs
with the noise of that digger!
I bet you had to wear it because of health and safety Grrr Crying or Very sad
Have a gud weekend
Rob....

Back to top Go down

Post  ken on Fri May 21, 2010 7:46 pm

yes headphones are no good with a hard hat, but we managed ok.
did you see I got in both tv interview backgrounds (you can watch them online)lol! , maybe even on the time team film lol!
no one took a photo of me with the stonework but I took a shot myself with it in my hand so I will post it in the eyes only section later, but its not finished yet, they still have filming to do of the results etc, and artifacts are still being cleaned and conserved.
This weekend will be differant, no JCBs or mini diggers just mattocks and shovels Twisted Evil , hope there aren't any jumping mines around affraid or too many live rounds in the top soil, it could get interesting. jocolor

Back to top Go down

Post  davey on Fri May 21, 2010 8:32 pm

Good that your having a good time Ken, just a shame that all club members were not invited to have a look around Shocked

Last edited by davey on Wed May 26, 2010 7:42 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post  ken on Tue May 25, 2010 7:49 pm

No, time team only wanted two detectorists, I think Olga would have been happy with more but Time team were paying the wages ( 60.00 a day) Sad so they made the rules.
Don't get the wrong idea, we were on a very very short leash, ie: only the spoil heaps were free range and ask first, we were not allowed in the trenches unless especially invited, and everything metal to be recovered no discrimination. After the 200th nail it got very difficult to keep interested unless you were willing to go along with the Archioligists approach, i.e it all builds to a larger picture. affraid
There was definitley no treasure to be found, just a job of work to do Basketball
if you doubt it ask Garrick or Dereck, on the war tunnels dig we were even more limited due to the landowners limit on unnecessary disturbance or excavations and the dangers from explosives etc, so we spent three days waiting for the odd barrow of spoil to detect through, we sifted out the pieces of barbed wire and occasional bullet or 25mm anti-aircraft casing, but it was a Archiological excavation not a detecting meet, so def not everyones cup of tea. Sleep
ps. there is a good possibility that we may be invited to further digs now, as now we have shown we can be trusted a little Basketball

Back to top Go down

Have put some photos in gallery of the Gorey castle dig

Post  JDSS-SiteAdmin-1 on Sat May 29, 2010 11:58 am

Got a friend to go and do some piccys whilst the team were here :-)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top