Gold

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gold

Post  davey on Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:49 pm

Having got the bug for panning I've done test's in 5 local streams and all have flakes of gold one of them also has small nuggets which is handy as it run through some of my detecting land, now to test streams on the north coast Smile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gold

Post  ken on Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:03 am

Thats somthing I've always wanted to do, I wanted to have a go in south africa whilst we were down the gold mining area near Barberton, there was a place you coulds go and pan for a few rand, but the missus didn't want to try or to wait for me to have a go, so its still on my 'to do' list. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  davey on Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:21 pm

I've got a spare pan I can fetch in on Thursday for you to borrow for a while if you like Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  ken on Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:22 pm

yes I'd love to have a go, just need a stream with potential cyclops

Back to top Go down

Post  ken on Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:13 am

just mud and pebbles so far No

Back to top Go down

Post  davey on Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:33 pm

Search a stream that as bedrock running into it, then get the loose gravel beneath the stones on the bed of the stream, watch some youtube video's too.

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuma on Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:11 pm

Hello all , how are tricks? I hope all is well! Smile
I've been offline for around a month as I've had no 'tinternet , but on Daniel telling me about your find Davey I just had to get back online! Surprised
If you've found some gold flakes over here , then fairplay to you Chief! cheers
I do hate to sound cynical or pessimistic , but are you certain that you havn't found Mica or Pyrite? Embarassed
(Fools gold for readers that don't know).
I havn't a clue about your panning experience , but please bear with me!
After around a year or so of studying local geology and mineralogy (ending late last year) , I came to the conclusion that the possibility was indeed there for the presence of gold in local streams , and maybe even some beach placer deposits.
I also spent some time studying geology and mineralogy from as far north as Scotland (many gold bearing streams up there) , down through Northern Ireland , Wales , Southwest UK (Devon & Cornwall) , right down as far as the known gold bearing streams of the Brittany Peninsula on the west coast of France.
This was to see whether or not the Channel Islands tied in somewhere with the known gold and silver deposits within the UK and France.
Through this , I discovered that you can draw an imaginary line , from Scotland right down through to France , which seems to pretty much cover nearly all of the placer gold bearing areas of the UK , Northern Ireland and France , and the Channel Islands 'straddles' this imaginary line , just off to the east.
We know that silver is associated with gold in natural deposits (motherlodes).
(In fact , for readers that don't already know , gold dust and nuggets ect. are never 'pure' 24carrat gold , but usualy alloys containing , amongst other metals , silver , platinum group metals , and also base metals such as copper.)
When I drew this 'imaginary line' , I realised that as we have old silver mines dotted around the Channel Islands , the chances were that there could well be gold localy.
I took my findings to some different respected mineralogists and geologists , such as Kit Andrews from the UK Gold Prospectors blog , and my friend Richard Pickle from Geo-Tech (US) , just to make sure that I was on the track that I thought I was , and they had told me what I had initaly thought , everything suggested the presence of gold localy.
So , off I went collecting rock and ore samples from various locations around the island , and I also tested a few streams around the island with pans.
I studied everything I collected through the microscope and I'll be honest , it did look kind of promising.
This is where it started to go pointy_bits up really , No
I happened across a spot where I had found some Pyrite , which at the time I didn't fully know how to correctly identify.
As you mentioned in a post above , if you want to find placer gold , you have to dig down.
(Gold has a specific gravity of 19.3 [this relates to a scale where the specific gravity of water is 1.0 gram per ccm] , so gold is 19.3 times heavier than water.)
Knowing this , I started to dig under and around boulders , and within minutes , the ground started to look like someone had thrown a big bag of gold dust and small nuggets all over the floor. farao
Well , if I didn't cr*p myself , ..... Wink
I quickly emptied my bag of ore samples (silver) on the deck , and like a madman dug with my bear hands and filled this bag with the 'gold bearing' soil.
In fact , I was so convinced that I had just struck gold , when a friend popped up about 10 minutes after me ariving home with this I told him that he wasn't allowed in and to come back in a couple of hours.
That really freaked him out , Laughing
It only took me a short while to figure out that I hadn't struck gold , but for anybody interested I'll tell you how I figured this out and how it's done without any chemical testing.
1. Pyrite is a crystaline mineral , so will only seem to 'glisten' yellow(ish) when faced a certain way toward light , gold will shine yellow from all angles.
2. Small pieces of Pyrite will break up when squashed between fingers , somtimes leaving a black streak , gold is a soft metal and will not break up.
3. Larger pieces of pyrite will smash under a hammer , gold will flatten out.
4. Iron Pyrite , being a sulphide mineral , will smell slighlty sulphurus when rubbed between fingers , gold will not.
5. The specific gravity of Pyrite is around 5.1 , therefore when panning , smaller pieces and dust will float out and leave the pan whilst panning , leaving only larger pieces remain behind. Gold being much heavier , will always be the last thing left in the pan when propperly panned , including fine gold and even flour gold.
Above all , they just look and feel different.
To be absolutely certain , you can peform a chemical test. Without going to far into this , being a mineral , Pyrite won't dissolve into chemical solution whereas being a metal or a metal alloy , gold will.
(If anybody wants to know more about chemical testing for the presence of different precious metals drop me a p.m. , it's only as safe as your willing to make it but it's not out of the laymans realm.)
I'll be brutaly honest here , the main thing for me is this ; if there truly is placer gold in some streams over here , why doesn't anybody know about it , and why in all of the geology and mineralogy surveys conducted in the island(s) over the last one or two hundred years , hasn't gold had the slightest mention? Rolling Eyes
Again , I really hate to sound cynical or pessimistic , but if it seems to good to be true , .... Exclamation
I'll openly admit that there are other factors in favour of the possibility of the presence of gold localy other than what the study of gelogogy and mineralogy may suggest , such as one or two stories I've heard over the years of people in 'times gone by' finding flower gold in streams localy , and the fact that Jersey is the peak of an ancient volcano , I recently learnt that on average a volcano spews out around 700g of gold during every erruption , so I'm not saying it's not there or it's impossible.
I'm just saying that if it is truly there , how on earth has it been kept so quiet or remained seemingly undiscovered all these years?
I'm popping along on the 6th of next month to the meeting , if your popping along it would be awsome to see a sample Chief!
If indeed you have found one or two pickers and flakes localy , you've just made a friend for life! (got pans Wink ) Very Happy Laughing
Either way Davey , keep at it bud and keep us informed , I'm fastinated to see how this pans out (oops! Laughing )
All the very best for now to one and all ,
With my best wishes and kind regards ,
Chris Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top