A promising Field

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A promising Field

Post  ken on Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:56 pm

I recently got permission to detect a group of fields, the rain has mainly kept me out but I got to detect today and found a great silver hat pin, a Jersey militia 2nd regt. button and eyes only a great flint arrow head Very Happy amongst the normal coke cans etc pretty promising, just hope the farmer doesnt seed it too quickly Rolling Eyes : anyhow I've posted some pics in the gallery.
now I must pop in to see Olga for her to record them or whatever. cyclops cyclops

Last edited by JDSS-SiteAdmin-1 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:49 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spellings)

Back to top Go down

Flint find

Post  JDSS-SiteAdmin-1 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:54 am

V Nice Flint Ken,
can you tell us the size ?
Regards Rob bounce

Back to top Go down

Re: A promising Field

Post  ken on Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:01 am

The flint is 35mm x 25mm x 6mm Very Happy . the Hat pin has been id'd as tudor approximatley 600 years old, that is around 18mm in diameter Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  JDSS-SiteAdmin-1 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:08 am

Cheers Ken,
that would do some damage if it hit someone
and hat pin is really old
well found,
when my feet are a bit better i will be detecting again and get to meets more often
as im trying to close the David place office down in about two months time,
found a plug for your H.phones so will let u know when ready
Rob.

Back to top Go down

Post  ken on Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:18 am

Thanks Rob, I should get a scale to put in the photos, maybe when I see Olga she will give me one Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan on Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:25 pm

Haven't been on here for quite some time.

That hat pin is exactly the same as mine, same style. Found mine last year, wasn't sure what it was but i'm certain it is a hat pin, probably tudor as well.

Back to top Go down

Post  ken on Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:57 pm

Yes it is probably the same, but hard to say for sure without a clear picture. Shocked
could you try to post a clearer picture possibly showing the pin if you can see it as well. Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  davey on Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:09 pm

good finds Ken Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:39 am

I'll get a clearer picture up asap! I don't have the pin, it's missing. It's probably been broken up into little bits around the field. I found my hat pin thing last year.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan on Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:04 pm

I've uploaded 2 pics of it.

Back to top Go down

Post  ken on Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:16 pm

It looks the same thing (but is it silver or a base metal,) yours seems a thicker metal or else it is crusted in crud? if you can, come to the next meeting and bring it along. Very Happy
some were silver some gold plated, and even solid gold, be carefull because if its it is old it should be reported to Olga or if you cannot get hold of her as I cannot, Shocked the Societte' Jersiase archioligist or the museum, you could also first take it along to Rob at his shop for a second opinion.

Back to top Go down

Post  ken on Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:30 pm

Neil Mahrer has the finds now, he is going to pass them on to Olga for further recording, so they will spend a week or so on her desk, gathering dust, like the last ones. but duty done, just a pity they dont take the rest of us a little more seriously and actualy record our finds. Shocked
If its not a ton in weight she doesn't want to know Smile
gripe over,I am told she is busy digging up beach flints at Les Varines. Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top